PSF has announced the release of Python 2.5, the final production release of Python 2.5 on September 19th, 2006. Many congratulations to the Python dev team on this release.
It’s been nearly 1.5 years since the last major release of Python (2.4) and almost 5 months since the first alpha release of 2.5 cycle.
Starting with the Python 2.4 releases the Windows Python installer is being distributed as an easy to use Microsoft Installer (.msi) file. So you could easily install and try out the latest version of Python.
New features in Python 2.5 :-
- Conditional Expressions
- Partial Function Application
- Metadata for Python Software Packages v1.1
- Absolute and Relative Imports
- Executing Modules as Scripts
- Unified try/except/finally
- New Generator Features
- The ‘with’ statement
- Exceptions as New-Style Classes
- Using ssize_t as the index type
- The ‘__index__’ method
- Interactive Interpreter Changes
- New, Improved, and Removed Modules
- Build and C API Changes
- Porting to Python 2.5
PEP 356 – describes the planned release schedule.