This entry is a compilation of resources that you should read before you take a stand on whether Java should be open source or not. Do share your comments and suggestions on the matter.
Should Java be made open sourced has been a talking point for
quite some time now. There are strong arguments presented by both sides
to the discussion but we surely aren’t any closer to an actual
decision. Companies other than Sun can keep talking about making Java
open source but end of it the decision lies with Sun.
The point has been debated for many years and a million blogs and stories have covered the topic. This is just another one 🙂
Java Open Source Stories:
- An Analysis of Open Sourcing Java: (Joshua Marinacci’s Blog).
A must read as it presents the pros and cons and the user comments also are quite good.
- Open letter to Sun: Let Java Go (Eric Raymond: President, Open Source Initiative)
- Open letter to Sun: Let Java Go: Round 2
- The open source question debated at Java One: (TheServerSide.com)
- Java Should Be Open-Source, Creator Says: (ComputerWorld.com)
- IBM urges Sun to make Java open source: (News.com)
- Open source CEO against opening Java language to community: JBoss’ Marc Fleury’s views on open source Java
- Is Java Bigger than Sun? – The Java Ecosystem Debates the Future of Java (SysCon)
- Open Source Java Strategy/Policy Links: (viva.sourceforge.net)
- Why Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS)? (dwheeler.com)
- An Open-Source Java: (Eweek.com)
- McNealy: Open-Source Java Unlikely (Eweek.com)
- Open Source Java: The right to fork: (Javalobby.org)
Latest posts by Content Team (see all)
- IndicThreads Pune 2016 To Equip Developers For A New Age Of Software Development - May 27, 2016
- Java Garbage Collectors – Moving to Garbage First (G1) Collector - May 25, 2016
- Using Lambdas and Streams in Java 8 - May 18, 2016