Python 2.7 Alpha 1 has been released. Python 2.7 is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series before it moves into 5 years of bugfix-only mode. This release contains many of the features that were first released in Python 3.1.
What’s new in 2.7? . Improvements in this release include:
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping and new assert methods.
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x.
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- New syntax for nested with statements